For Research Use Only. Not For Use in Diagnostic Procedures.
HemaSpot™ is a simple to use patented device for blood sampling and robust storage/shipping of blood samples at ambient temperatures. Experts in the field are describing HemaSpot™ as “a vast improvement,” “a game changer” and “revolutionary.”
Potential applications for HemaSpot™ are described below representing innovations for medical research that were not feasible – until now.
- The filter paper’s fan-shaped design allows the blood sample to evenly and reproducibly spread and dry on each of the 8 blades. This means that one sample, when dried, produces 8 replicates that can be easily torn off and analyzed.
- HemaSpot™ combines ease-of-use with the sample stability of dried blood spot, which equates to years at room temperature. It also represents a blood sampling and storage system that can allow for multiple analyte testing events from the same blood sample over many years.
Figure 1. Human Circadian Time Structure (Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm)HemaSpot™ can overcome these limitations. Complicated phlebotomy procedures or clinical stays aren’t needed and the samples can be stored with the subject at room temperature until they are ready to mail them in for laboratory analysis. In addition, the iPhone app, HemaScan™ (currently under development), means that date, time, and location are automatically captured at the time of the sampling, increasing the accuracy of the data. For these applications, blood sampling could occur at the optimum times required by the study for better results and not dictated by the convenience of the testing facility. “This is exactly the tool that our field has been waiting for,” according to Dr. Mike Smolensky, Editor of Chronobiology International Journal.
- Fewer clinical sites with reduced IRB and validation costs
- 75% reduction in personnel and infrastructure for sample collection
- Lower recruitment and retention costs
- Reduced travel stipends and hotel costs for remote patients
- Improved sample stability
- Sample shipping and storage at ambient temperature
- Delivering a time savings of >85%; 5 minutes for HemaSpot™ sampling vs 45 minutes for traditional methods
- Reducing opportunities for contamination
- Minimizing labeling errors
- Offering less infrastructure and personnel requirements (75% reduction)
- Bringing higher patient satisfaction; a recent study showed that 100% of patients preferred finger stick over venipuncture (Vidal-Taboada, JM et al., BMC Medical Genetics 2006, 7:451)